The Flag of the Episcopal Church


The flag of the Episcopal Church, designed by William M. Baldwin , was adopted by the General Convention in 1940m marking the 251st anniversary of the ratification of the constitution and canons of the church and the adoption of The Book Of Common Prayer.  The red cross is the cross of St. George, the patron saint of England, harking back to the church's origins there. The blue field in the upper left corner has the cross of St. Andrew, patron saint of Scotland. It is formed by nine small crosses, each one of which represents one of the nine church dioceses  that met in Philadelphia in 1789 to start the Episcopal Church in the United States. (A diocese is an ecclesiastical district under the jurisdiction of a bishop.) The Diocese of New Jersey was one of the founding dioceses. Learn more about the symbolism off Episcopal Church Flag and Seal here:  https://www.episcopalchurch.org/library/glossary/episcopal-church-flag-and-seal