In the Beginning: A Brief History of St. Luke’s First 100 Years
St. Luke’s congregation began its spiritual life together in a small stucco Chapel in Dumont in 1922. As the suburbs grew, so did the fledgling St. Luke’s parish. It outgrew its modest Chapel, broke ground in Haworth, and held the opening service in its new building at the corner of Massachusetts Ave. and Grant St. on Easter Sunday in 1958. From 1991 to 1997, the parish combined forces in a joint ministry with All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Bergenfield and later, from 2009 to 2013, entered a joint interdenominational ministry with the congregation of Our Saviour Lutheran Church of Cresskill. The joint Episcopal-Lutheran ministry was among the first of its kind in the nation. The church has navigated the vagaries of time in the intervening years but, as it closes in on its Centennial Celebration on
October 16, 2022, St. Luke’s remains a resilient, inclusive, charitable congregation of faith.